Wednesday, May 25, 2016

Week 7 Art in culture

I would venture to guess that the artists were telling a story about animals and how important they were to the artists. I might venture further and say the artists were attempting to show us how important these animals could be to everyone.
It would seem that the artists worshipped these animals and portrayed them as special entities which should be respected, the story they drew was more about the animals. Therefore they did not draw many people, because that would have redirected the importance to the humans.
I could perhaps say that with all this art work they may have had a lot of time on their hands, but I can’t be sure some of their art may have taken hours, days even or it could have taken only a few moments, there is also the possibility the elderly who had nothing but time, made the art. If I’m being honest there are many different directions into their life that the art could show me, but I could never say for certain just what the art was intended to say about them. My best guess would be that their life revolved around the animals they depicted, for food and possibly for worship.
Well the area where the paintings are located is a problem in itself, the majority of the paintings are either high on the cave walls or on the ceiling of the cave. I don’t believe that logically any of these early humans were tall enough to reach such places, they would have had to find a way to reach. I would speculate the possibility of one member riding on another members shoulders in order to reach such heights. Then there is the more basic matter of finding a mixture to use as paint and then changing the color for different animals, I would assume plant life was used, possibly mixed with dirt, clay, or even perhaps animal blood.
I might speculate the possible reasoning for this art to be storytelling, possibly a way to record historic events, or it might also be simply art for the eyes of their tribe and future tribes, like us, to enjoy.
Like the art in Lascaux caves, we still today sometimes make art that tells a story, some may even argue that all art tells a story. Also like the prehistoric art, we have art that depicts large portions of our history a prime example might be paintings made that show the death and gore of the civil war. Early humans may have used art much in the same way as we use it today, to tell stories and to show a visual depiction of historic events. We have developed over time things to actually draw on, rather than using the land or buildings for art, in most cases. For early humans the land was all they had to show us pieces of their world and their lifestyle. We still paint as they did, we just have a different sort of canvas.

An American Painting of the Civil War.
I find that after watching my very first acapella movie, Pitch perfect and Pitch perfect 2, that I am addicted to acapella, it is amazing to me to see what just a few people can do with only their voices to use for sound. Before reading these instructions I will admit I had spaced out music as a form of art, not sure how I could forget as much as I enjoy music, but all the same.
First Link is a video of the Pentatonix: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P95_pCbCPZw
Second Link is from Pitch Perfect 2: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j3U2ew2-LOQ
In the second link you can actually see a contest between 
multiple acapella groups known as a "Riff Off."

Acapella Groups such as the well-known Pentatonix, use their voices to create or re-create music. It is a form of entertainment for most, but there are even events where groups compete to see who is the very best, such an event was depicted in the Pitch Perfect movies. They attempt to communicate just how powerful voices can be, they can replace instruments along with the well-known ability to sing.
Acapella is pretty universal culture wise, there is not one specific culture that does it, however it may have originated in one specific culture before it spread world-wide. Generally the singers dress according to what they are singing or where they are, there is no specific form of dress. I have only heard acapella done in English, but I am sure it is done in other languages as well. As for behavior, not really although sometimes and especially during competitions they must choreograph a dance set to go with their singing.

 I might get a bit of negative feedback for this, but honestly I believe that Acapella is very beneficial to newer generations, because it gives some of them something constructive and beneficial to them to look forward too. Instead of another Justin Bieber or Miley Cyrus, pop stars who can get away with almost anything are not very good role models. However Acapella gives viewers not only something to watch, but if they decide to try it. It will help them become active with dance moves as I mentioned before and it will help them learn how to exercise their vocal cords to different things such as mimicking instruments and other sounds. Kids get to see people who worked very hard to be able to do what they do and the hard work doesn’t end, they are constantly improving and learning new techniques to compete with. I would love to see a lot more kids doing this than playing video games, shooting up neighborhoods, doing drugs, dropping out of school, etc. I think they just need something constructive to become interested in and to help them see a different way to go. Other benefits are a form of entertainment and a healthy outlet for people interested in dance and music. I can’t really think of any detrimental effects of it, other than gaining a new way to use your voice for more than just talking or singing.

6 comments:

  1. Hey Zo,
    The cave artist could very well be telling a story of how important the animals of the area are, and if that is the case than you are correct that drawing multiple humans would have taken away from the importance of the animals. I think that these painting would have taken a long time to complete. They didn't have the same resources as us today so making all the paints must have taken awhile, even finding materials that acted like paint may have taken awhile. I didn't even think about the fact that they could have been worshiping the animals depicted in the cave paintings. Music is an amazing art form. It can bring out emotions that may otherwise lay dormant. Acapella is an excellent form of music as well. Good post Zoey. Oh and I must admit the Pitch Perfects are also one of my guilty pleasures too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post about the cave drawings. I also felt like the animals represented some type of important role in the painter's lives. I also liked your last big about Acapella. Although I do agree with you that kids today should have better role models than current famous celebrities, I'm afraid that is difficult to come by. Our own culture is constantly changing with different trends every other year. I have always wondered about a solution to this but all I could think of was that if money was spent on promoting everyday people instead of the celebrities that party all day and do drugs. But that is highly unlikely and unfortunate.

    Randy C.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Zoey, I think that the acapella groups are wildly talented myself. I love to sing as well but to be able to match an instrument using only your vocals that is insane! I can not even imagine the amount of vocal strength they have based off of how they perform and I thought just singing your heart out with lyrics was strenuous and took a lot out of you but to be able to do both the lyrics, music, and perform with dancing all at the same time that is beyond impressive and I am curious as to how they get their vocals into that good of shape without damaging them. Nice choice, Zoey.
    Chloe

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Zoey!

    I liked reading your thoughts on the art in the caves. The way you thought outside of the box when trying to learn about the culture through their art (especially when you were considering how much time the paintings could have taken to create) was great. It reminded me that it's not just the art itself that lends insight into a culture, but also the work and the time it takes to create the art!

    Acapella groups are AWESOME. Have you listened to White Winter Hymnal by Pentatonix? I could listen to that one all day! One day, I WILL master their clapping routine in that piece. :) The human voice can do incredible things, and acapella music definitely bears witness to that! I think I see where you were going with the "role models" comment, as acapella singers tend to have an amazing ear for detail and a great work ethic, but I don't think genre of music in and of itself constitutes a role model, so that caught me a bit off guard. While I do agree that a lot of the big stars nowadays aren't the best people to look up to, it's important to remember that a lot of people in the spotlight bend to current trends in the entertainment industry (trends which, as Randy mentioned, are rapidly changing in our culture), and acapella singers aren't immune to that kind of pressure. But there's definitely something to be said for people who let their voices shine and, at the same time, prove themselves as someone worthy of looking up to. It's awesome when people use their talents to promote goodness. :) We can learn a lot from acapella singers, as you showed us!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Zoey. I liked your idea that the reason people are not very prevalent in these cave paintings is because animals are so important and special to their lives, and they did not want to direct the focus on humans.
    I don't know much about acapella music, but I agree that it is impressive. And while I'm not a huge fan of pop music or its stars, some of them do have real talent. But in order to become successful and make a name for themselves, they have to make pop music first, then branch out into whatever type of music they actually want to do.

    ReplyDelete
  6. "I would venture to guess that the artists were telling a story about animals and how important they were to the artists."

    Agreed, but can you be more specific? What is the benefit of showing that these animals are important? This is a very difficult and time consuming process to produce these paintings just for an ephemeral benefit of "showing importance".

    Step back and consider this from the perspective of early humans living in a wild environment, needing to find food, shelter, water and protection from wild animals who would like to use you as food. How might these paintings help you survive under these conditions? Could they be recording herd movement to predict future hunts? Could they be identifying good animals to hunt? In the text version of this site, there is evidence that the three separate rooms of the cave each represent one of three hunting seasons in any given year, with different types of animals represented in each. Sounds like an early type of calendar.

    Good discussion on the different cultural aspects highlighted by these paintings.

    Okay on the difficulties of cave painting but the most immediate problem would be light! How can you see back there?

    I agree with your first two possible functions, but think about that last one: Would early humans create this just for someone else to enjoy? They might be able to envision their descendants using them but I'm not sure they considered beyond that.

    I agree that storytelling is a commonality between modern and this early form of art, and story telling serves important functions in all cultures, including educating and guiding the younger generation, and making sure that historical events are not forgotten.

    Good introduction of the acapella art form to your readers, with a thoughtful exploration of its function and contributions to society. For may art forms it is difficult to envision any negatives, but sometimes you can think of an art form that has a negative connotation. One that pops into my mind is graffiti art. Can you think of any other example?

    ReplyDelete